Thursday 16 February 2017

Birthday Boy

My son's birthday is coming up, and he's been overseas for some years now, so I wanted to make a card that evoked home. I used CAS Colours and Sketches Challenge #210 as a starter:
I've experimented with a couple of things on this card. First, I'm very tentatively trying Copic markers, so used these on the vertical panel. Second, I tried embossing over black stamped images - I didn't want a totally embossed image, but a kind of fill in look. I'm pleased with the results.



The images themselves are New Zealand flora: a ponga koru (the ponga fern is the source of our national symbol, the silver fern, and the koru, or spiral shape has many meanings, among them harmony and new life); the pohutukawa tree (about which I've previously posted) and a kowhai (pronounced caw-fie) blossom. The last will remind my son, I hope, of his sister - they both got a two-blossom kowhai tattoo to represent their relationship before he left.
Made using:
Paper: Stampin' Up's Whisper White, Pacific Point. Kraft paper also - can't remember whose.
Ink: Stampin' Up's Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, Wild Wasabi, Basic Black, Real Red.
Embossing: Stampin' Up Gold and Real Red, American Crafts Green Glitter Finish.
Stamps: Stampin' Up Sassy Salutations and Crazy about You (both for sentiments) and craft creations Kiwiana Christmas stamps.
Other - Copic Markers: Robin's Egg Blue, Process Blue and Lapis Lazuli.; washi tape which may be Stampin' Up but I'm not sure.

7 comments:

  1. Pretty card; love the bold colors. Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how bright and cheerful this is, thanks for joining us at CC&S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such interesting images, thanks for the explanation of their New Zealand link. Well done for experimenting with new techniques and your bold colour choices. Thanks for playing at CC&S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jo! Superb! I love the rich colours you've used. I was wondering how you'd done the background panel and, at first, thought you'd experimented with watercolouring. Copic markers - really! I see a play date coming up so you can show them to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bold colours and wonderful techniques. I am sure your son will love the card. Thanks so much for sharing and joining in at CC&S. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, Jo! I love that you were "playing" and experimenting with new techniques. Thanks for playing with us at CC&S this week. Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete